By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT – Attorney General Jack Conway, a Democratic candidate for governor in 2015, underwent successful back surgery Wednesday in Louisville, his office said in a release.
The release said Conway, 45, had a minimally-invasive, microdiscectomy to relieve persistent pain caused by a herniated lumbar disc impinging on his sciatic nerve root.
The procedure was performed at Baptist Health Louisville by neurosurgeon Steven J. Reiss.
Doctors anticipate a complete recovery, and Conway is expected to keep a full schedule for all of calendar year 2015, the release said.
He will have a limited public schedule for the next couple of weeks while he recovers, it added.
Conway thanked the doctors and medical staff for their care and all those who have sent prayers and well wishes.
“He looks forward to hitting the ground running in 2015,” the release said.
Conway is running for governor of Kentucky next year with state Rep. Sannie Overly, D-Paris, as his running mate.
By Jack Brammer email@example.com FRANKFORT – Luke Morgan, a Lexington attorney with experience in trial court and state administrative hearings, is considering a possible run as a Republican for state attorney general in 2015. Morgan, 51, said Tuesday he has not yet made a decision on whether to run to be the state’s chief law-enforcement […]
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT — Crit Luallen, in her first public speech as Kentucky’s 56th lieutenant governor, told several hundred people in the Capitol Rotunda Friday that she is ready to help Gov. Steve Beshear with his “continuing efforts to build a Kentucky poised for a prosperous future.”
Luallen, who has served with six other Kentucky governors in high positions and was elected twice as state auditor, said the day was not one for laying out a new agenda but “to celebrate all that is right and good about our state’s past and its hope for the future.”
Luallen particiapted in a publc-swearing in ceremony that attracted various state officials like Attorney General Jack Conway, Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes and Senate President Robert Stivers and other well-wishers.
Beshear named Luallen to be the state’s No. 2 public official to replace Jerry Abramson, who departed to take a job with the White House to help local officials throughout the country.
In his remarks at Friday’s public ceremony, Beshear said Luallen will help his administration in improving access to health care and creating jobs.
Luallen called on several family members and friends to participate in the ceremony.
Tourism Secretary Bob Stewart, who went to school with Luallen, served as moderator.
Catarine Hancock, Luallen’s great niece and a sophomore at Lexington’s Lafayette High School, sang the National Anthem.
The Rev. Nancy Jo Kemper, pastor of New Union Christian Church in Woodford County, gave the invocation and Eleanor Jordan, executive director of the Kentucky Commission on Women, introduced Luallen.
Franklin Circuit Court Judger Philip Shepherd, administered the public oath of office as Luallen’s husband, Lynn Luallen, held the Bible upon which she put her hand. A private swearing-in ceremony was held Thursday at the home of former Chief Justice John Palmore and Carol Palmore.
Centre College President John Roush provided the closing remarks and Colmon Elridge, executive assistant in the governor’s office, sang “My Old Kentucky Home.”
The Governor’s School for the Arts Alumni offered the musical prelude for the ceremony that lasted about an hour.
A public reception was held in the Governor’s Mansion after the ceremony. Music there was provided by the Centre College Kentucky Ensemble.
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT – Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway’s campaign for governor raised $397,539 in the last three months, bringing his total fundraising to about $1.15 million since entering the Democratic primary earlier this year.
Conway’s campaign also reported late Monday that it had about $1 million on hand.
“Great results for two straight reporting periods show the strength of our campaign and that we are uniting Democrats behind our ticket for the 2015 governor’s race,” Conway said in a statement.
Conway said he and his running, state Rep. Sannie Overly of Paris, “remain focused on the Kentucky House races and Alison Lundergan Grimes’ campaign for U.S. Senate” this fall.
He added: “Sannie and I will begin the process of building out our campaign after the November elections.”
Conway’s campaign noted that Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear, as an incumbent in 2009, raised a little more than $1 million during his first two reporting periods and had $784,054 on hand.
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT — Senate President Robert Stivers asked for an attorney general’s opinion Monday on whether Kentucky counties can adopt so-called ‘right-to-work’ provisions that let employees work in unionized businesses without joining the union or paying dues.
Stivers, a Republican from Manchester, said in a news release that he is seeking the opinion from Attorney General Jack Conway because Jefferson County Attorney Mike O’Connell recently opined that the Louisville Metro Government has the authority to require a higher minimum wage than the minimum wage established by federal or state law.
“Using Mr. O’Connell’s analysis, a county should also be able to establish itself as a right-to-work county,” said Stivers.
The Senate leader noted that he sought the request as legislators prepare for the 2015 General Assembly that begins in January. Republicans in the state Senate have pushed the issue for years, but House Democrats oppose the measure.
Many Republicans say such a state law is needed to spur economic development while many Democrats argue it would lower wages by weakening unions.
A recent Bluegrass Poll found that 55 percent of Kentuckians favor changing state laws to allow people to work in businesses that have unions without joining the union or paying union dues. Twenty-eight percent of those polled were opposed.
Stivers said the issue “will be of continuing interest to localities that are looking for innovative ways to attract new businesses.”
He noted that 24 states have enacted “right-to-work” laws that are not pre-empted by federal law.
Stivers was not immediately available to take questions about his request. O’Connell, a Democrat, was not immediately available for comment.
Conway spokeswoman Allison Gardner Martin, said the attorney general’s office will review Stivers’ request.
Attorney General Jack Conway continued his effort to lock up the Democratic nomination in next year’s governor’s race with an overwhelming show of force, announcing Tuesday that his campaign has raised more than $750,000 since entering the race in early May.
Conway and his running mate, state Rep. Sannie Overly, reported having more than $700,000 in cash on hand.
While a number of other Democrats are considering a run for governor after this year’s elections are over, Conway has moved quickly to consolidate Democratic support, announcing his large fundraising haul after rolling out a series of major endorsements.
“Sannie and I are honored by the bipartisan support we’ve received from friends across Kentucky who believe in our vision of creating better jobs, building infrastructure and investing in early childhood and higher education,” Conway said in a statement. “We have a proven record of experience and following through on the commitments we’ve made to the people of this state. We are uniting Democrats and hard-working Kentuckians who believe that together we can build a better commonwealth to live, work and raise our families.”
When Conway first entered the race, a number of Democrats worried that his early entry might distract from the attention and resources Alison Lundergan Grimes will need to defeat U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell this November.
In Tuesday’s news release, the campaign said it had held two fundraising events, “keeping the commitment to avoid fundraising conflicts with Alison Lundergan Grimes and the Kentucky House Democratic Caucus.”
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT — Andy Beshear, a Democratic candidate for attorney general in 2015 and the son of Gov. Steve Beshear, reported Thursday that his campaign has nearly $1.1 million cash on hand, after raising $160,000 in the last three months.
Beshear, a Louisville attorney with Stites and Harbison, has raised more than $1.26 million total for his campaign. He started it last November.
The candidate also announced the endorsements of five prominent Democrats for his campaign – former Attorney Generals David Armstrong and Chris Gorman, state Auditor Adam Edelen, former state Auditor Crit Luallen and state House Speaker and former Attorney General Greg Stumbo.
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT — Kentucky will reap an extra $57.2 million over the next three years from settling litigation involving the 1998 Master Settlement Agreement between states and tobacco companies, Gov. Steve Beshear and Attorney General Jack Conway announced Thursday.
In a joint news conference in the Capitol, Beshear said the end of the legal dispute between 23 states, including Kentucky, and tobacco manufacturers over 10 years of disputed claims and litigation is “a victory not only for Kentucky farmers, but also for critical health care and childhood services.”
Conway said the settlement his office worked on “restores certainty to Kentucky’s annual payments” from the 1998 agreement.
“Under the terms of the settlement, we avoid the possibility of costly litigation and the potential loss of the entire annual Master Settlement Agreement payment.”
Money from the settlement agreement already is designated for farm projects and health issues like lung cancer research.
Beshear acknowledged that the extra money for the state will not have an impact on a budget shortfall Kentucky expected at the end of this fiscal year on June 30.
HERALD-LEADER FRANKFORT BUREAU
FRANKFORT — Six Kentucky counties, chosen Monday in a random drawing by Attorney General Jack Conway, will be checked for any potential irregularities during the May 20 primary election.
They are Clark, Breathitt, Warren, Meade, Allen and Russell.
“These audits ensure a fair and equitable election process in Kentucky and supplement the work our investigators did leading up to and during the primary election,” Conway said in a release.
The post-election audits are required by law.
In each county, the audit will include checking election forms and interviewing county officials. The selection of these counties does not imply that irregularities are suspected.
The six counties selected during the last post-election audit in November 2012 were Bath, Bracken, Bourbon, Grayson, Johnson and Lewis counties. There were no irregularities discovered during that audit.
In addition to the post-election audit, follow-up investigations are continuing regarding complaints to the Election Fraud Hotline, said Conway.
It received 205 calls from more than 60 counties between 6a.m. and 7 p.m. during the May 20 primary election.
There were 49 allegations of vote-buying. Those allegations came from Breathitt, Clay, Pike, Bell, Floyd, Harlan, Laurel, Owsley, Carter, Knott, Magoffin, Bath, Clinton, Knox, Lee, Morgan, Muhlenberg, Perry and Wayne counties.
Conway said specifics of the calls may not be discussed until his office’s investigations are complete.
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT — The University of Kentucky will receive a $1.5 million, two-year grant from the state to develop a plan to prevent and treat substance abuse by adolescents.
The money comes from two legal settlements that Attorney General Jack Conway’s office reached with two pharmaceutical companies. The settlement funds are administered by the Substance Abuse Treatment Advisory Committee, which Gov. Steve Beshear created by executive order. It is chaired by Conway.
Adolescent substance abuse is at “epidemic proportions,” Conway said.
He noted that a 2011 study from the Centers for Disease Control showed that 66 percent of Kentucky kids have used alcohol, 37 percent have used marijuana, and 19 percent have abused prescription drugs.
“This grant will allow us to explore all of the resources available to Kentuckians to fight this growing problem,” he said.”
The money will be used to create and implement “UK Kentucky Kids Recovery,” a program that officials said will address every stage of adolescent substance abuse.
Conway’s office settled cases last year against two pharmaceutical companies for $32 million. The court orders filed in both settlements require that the funds be spent on substance abuse treatment programs, he said.
From the settlement, $19 million created the Kentucky Kids Recovery grant program. The grants are being used to expand treatment beds at existing facilities and to create new programs, including intensive outpatient and follow-up care centers.
Proceeds from the settlements are going to a variety of programs around the state, including $2.5 million for almost 900 scholarships over two years to Recovery Kentucky centers; $6 million to administer and upgrade KASPER, Kentucky’s electronic prescription drug monitoring program; and $1 million to develop a school-based substance abuse screening tool with the Kentucky Department of Education to intervene with at-risk children before they enter judicial or social services systems.