By Jack Brammer
A memorial service in Lexington has been scheduled for Larry Van Hoose, a gubernatorial press secretary, aide to congressmen and director of the state Republican Party who died last month in Cape Coral, Fla. He was 76.
The service will be Nov. 1 at Kerr Brothers Funeral Home at 3421 Harrodsburg Road.
Visitation will begin at 9:30 a.m. and a memorial program will start at 10:30 a.m.
Van Hoose, after working as a stringer for Sports Illustrated, was press secretary and aide for Republican Louie B. Nunn, who was governor from 1967 to 1971.
After working in the Nunn administration, Van Hoose was executive director of the Kentucky Republican Party before becoming chief of staff for U.S. Rep. Larry Hopkins of Lexington. He later worked for other Republican congressmen, including Ed Whitfield of Kentucky, Martin Hoke of Ohio and J.D. Hayworth of Arizona.
Van Hoose was preceded in death by his wife Martelle. He is survived by two sons, Todd and Howard, and two grandchildren.
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT – Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway’s campaign for governor raised $397,539 in the last three months, bringing his total fundraising to about $1.15 million since entering the Democratic primary earlier this year.
Conway’s campaign also reported late Monday that it had about $1 million on hand.
“Great results for two straight reporting periods show the strength of our campaign and that we are uniting Democrats behind our ticket for the 2015 governor’s race,” Conway said in a statement.
Conway said he and his running, state Rep. Sannie Overly of Paris, “remain focused on the Kentucky House races and Alison Lundergan Grimes’ campaign for U.S. Senate” this fall.
He added: “Sannie and I will begin the process of building out our campaign after the November elections.”
Conway’s campaign noted that Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear, as an incumbent in 2009, raised a little more than $1 million during his first two reporting periods and had $784,054 on hand.
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT — Gov. Steve Beshear is suggesting that Kentuckians curb domestic violence by donating their used cell phones and accessories.
Beshear, first lady Jane Beshear, Lt. Gov. Jerry Abramson and his wife, Madeline Abramson, kicked off a monthlong drive Wednesday to collect the old phones.
Verizon Wireless has agreed to turn the devices into a cash grant for WorkSafe, a collobarative program of the Kentucky State Police, Kentucky Commission on Women and The Mary Bryon Project, to provide domestic violence prevention training for businesses.
WorkSafe will distribute restored phones to domestic violence clients and give each up to 3,000 free minutes of usage.
At news conferences in Lexington, Frankfort and Louisville, the Beshears and Abramsons said the drive will run Oct. 1 through Oct. 31.
Special collection boxes marked HopeLine will be available at 18 state agencies throughout the state, at University of Kentucky sororities and Verizon stores. Phones from any provider will be accepted.
So far this year, Verizon has given grants of more than $108,000 for domestic violence prevention in Kentucky.
HERALD-LEADER FRANKFORT BUREAU
FRANKFORT — Gov. Steve Beshear has asked President Obama to issue a major disaster declaration and provide emergency assistance to four Eastern Kentucky communities recovering from recent flooding.
Strong storms from Aug. 19 to 23 caused heavy rain and flash flooding, which washed out roads and forced people from their homes throughout the eastern part of the state. Communities in Floyd, Knott, Johnson and Pike counties were the hardest hit.
“These severe storms and subsequent flooding caused widespread destruction to the state and community infrastructure in Floyd, Knott, Johnson and Pike counties, as well as to private homes,” Beshear said in his letter.
“I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the state and affected local governments. Federal assistance is necessary to supplement the efforts and available resources of the state, local governments, disaster relief organizations and compensation by insurance for disaster-related losses.”
Beshear is seeking the declaration “so that the requested federal assistance programs will be available to meet the needs of the communities in the affected areas.”
A preliminary damage assessment by the state and the Federal Emergency Management Agency indicated that the damages exceed $6 million for this disaster.
This is the first disaster declaration request Kentucky has made since a swath of tornadoes caused heavy destruction in eastern Kentucky in March 2012.
Kentucky has had 11 federal disaster declarations since 2008.
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT — A Japanese metalworking company is to open its first North American plant in Corbin, Gov. Steve Beshear announced Monday at a Capitol news conference.
Kowa Kogyosho Co., based in Nagoya, Japan, plans to create 30 jobs by April 2018 and invest $8.3 million into the project at the Corbin Regional Speculative building in the city’s Southeast Kentucky Business Park.
It will provide metal surface treatment for automotive suppliers, through a highly advanced process known as electroless nickel plating.
“Kentucky welcomes Kowa as its newest corporate citizen, one that will significantly enrich the southeastern Kentucky region as well as the entire state,” Beshear said with several Kowa and state and local officials.
The Kentucky Economic Development Finance Authority has preliminarily approved tax incentives of up to $600,000 for the company through the Kentucky Business Investment program.
The performance-based incentive allows a company to keep a portion of its investment over the term of the agreement through corporate income tax credits and wage assessments by meeting job and investment targets.
The finance authority also approved the company for tax benefits up to $50,000 through the Kentucky Enterprise Initiative Act. It allows approved companies to recoup Kentucky sales and use tax on constructions cots, building fixtures, equipment used in research and development and electronic processing equipment.
Economic Development Secretary Larry Hayes said Kowa Kentucky Inc. will have to meet certain standards to get the incentives but he said all of them – like wages paid – have not yet been determined.
He said Kowa wants “to grow their business in the United States.”
The company hopes to begin commercial production in January 2016 with about 10 employees and then grow.
Company officials stressed that it is a clean company and will cause no pollution.
Knox County Judge-Executive J.M. Hall, Corbin Mayor Willard McBurney and Bruce Carpenter, executive director of the Corbin Economic Development Agency, said they welcome Kowa to southeast Kentucky.
The area is hungry for jobs. The unemployment rate in Knox County is 10.7 percent.
Toshio Muguruma, president of Kowa Kogyosho Co., Ltd., said the company was looking in the Knoxville, Tenn., area to build its first North American plant and selected Corbin.
HERALD-LEADER FRANKFORT BUREAU
FRANKFORT — Sarah M. Jackson, who has been head of the state agency that enforces state campaign finance laws since 1999, is to retire Nov. 1.
Craig C. Dilger, board chairman for the Kentucky Registry of Election Finance, announced Jackson’s retirement Thursday at a board meeting.
“Sarah has been a tremendous asset to the agency and a true professional as executive director. The agency is stronger for it,” Dilger said in a release.
Jackson, 57, was general counsel for the state Cabinet for Workforce Development from 1998 to 1999 and was director of the Division of Charitable Gaming in the Justice Cabinet from 1996 to 1998. She was the division’s assistant director when it started in 1994.
Jackson was an assistant attorney general from 1982 to 1986 before joining the law firm of McBrayer, McGinnis, Leslie and Kirkland in its Frankfort office.
The registry board appointed Rebecca Feland of Lawrenceburg, the agency’s budget analyst, to be interim director until a permanent director is hired.
Dilger said the search process will take several months.
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT — A former official of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources created an oppressive work environment for women by telling them what clothes to wear and asking one to show her breasts, according to an ethics settlement released Monday.
In a settlement approved by the Executive Branch Ethics Commission Monday, Kenneth “Scott” King of Frankfort did not contest charges that he violated state ethics laws by using his position as the department’s assistant administrative services director to “create an oppressive and hostile atmosphere in his division to suit his own prurient, personal interests.”
The agreement said King told subordinate employees to wear certain articles of clothing he favored and to wear short skirts and high heels to meetings, and on one occasion told an employee to allow him to see her breasts in exchange for favorable treatment at work.
Also, during staff meetings, King would tell women employees which of their body parts he and other male supervisors preferred.
In the agreement, King also admitted using the department’s John Deere tractor for personal use.
State Agriculture Commissioner James Comer’s announcement this week that he is an official candidate for governor will be one of the topics on this weekend’s “Comment on Kentucky,” a public affairs show of the Kentucky Educational Television Network.
Joining interim host Bill Bryant of Lexington’s WKYT-TV, will be Adam Beam of the Associated Press, Lawrence Smith of Louisville’s WDRB-TV AND Scott Wartman of The Kentucky Enquirer.
The show will air live at 8 p.m. Friday on KET.
“Kentucky Tonight’ on KET will be preempted on Monday, Sept. 15, by “Roosevelts: An Intimate History.”
HERALD-LEADER FRANKFORT BUREAU Visitation and funeral arrangements for Charlann Harting Carroll, the wife of former Gov. Julian Carroll who died Wednesday at the age of 81, have been set. Both visitation and the funeral will be held at the Forks of Elkhorn Baptist Church at 495 Duckers Road off U.S. Highway 421 near Frankfort and […]
By Jack Brammer
FRANKFORT – The state’s General Fund, which pays for most state programs, improved in August while the state Road Fund dipped ever so slightly.
State budget director Jane C. Driskell said Wednesday that General Fund receipts increased 1.2 percent in August compared to the same month last year.
Total revenues for the month were $671.9 million, compared to $663.7 million during August 2013.
So far this fiscal year 2015 that began July 1, General Fund receipts have increased 1.7 percent.
The official revenue estimate for the fiscal year calls for revenue to increase 3.6 percent compared to last year’s actual receipts.
Based on August results, General Fund revenues need to grow 3.9 percent for the remainder of the fiscal year to meet the official estimate.
Despite the low rate of growth, there were some encouraging undertones reflected in the monthly numbers.
Driskell said she was “pleased to see two solid performances from our largest revenue sources, the individual income tax and year-to-date sales tax revenues.”
On the income tax side, growth in withholding payments (payroll taxes) grew 9.7 percent, following growth of 6.5 percent in July.
The growth rate on sales tax receipts was only 1.1 percent for the month, but 4.4 percent year to date.
Driskell said potential weakness in the corporate income tax continues to be a concern.
“September corporate income receipts will be a more appropriate barometer, as it is the first month in fiscal year 2015 where estimated quarterly payments are due. We’ll be in a better position to reexamine the fiscal year projections once the first quarter is complete.”
Among the major General Fund accounts:
● Individual income taxes increased 9 percent almost entirely due to withholding
● Sales tax revenues rose 1.1 percent and have increased 4.4 percent through the first two months.
● Corporation income tax collections declined $11.4 million as both declarations and net
payments. Collections year-to-date are up 7.5 percent.
● Cigarette taxes fell 0.3 percent but have grown 0.9 percent for the year.
● Property taxes grew 30.3 percent (timing issues) but have decreased 7.0 for the fiscal
● Coal severance tax collections increased 5.9 percent in August but are down 4.9 percent
● Lottery revenues grew 6.3 percent on the basis of a $17.0 million dividend payment.
Receipts for the Road Fund fell 0.1 percent in August with revenues of $141.1 million.
The official Road Fund revenue estimate calls for a 0.9 percent decline in receipts for the entire fiscal year
Based on year-to-date collections, revenues can decrease 1.5 percent for the remainder of the fiscal year and still meet the estimate.
Among the accounts:
• Motor fuels fell 0.7 percent in August but have increased 0.9 percent for the year.
• Motor vehicle usage collections decreased 0.9 percent for the month but have grown
0.2 percent for the first two months of the fiscal year.
• License and privilege tax fell 4.4 percent.
• Nont-tax receipts increased $2.4 million and are up $2.1 million for the fiscal year.