Rand Paul says his campaign benefited from ‘Aqua Buddha’ ad

November 01, 2010 | | Comments 73
Democrat Jack Conway, left, and Republican Rand Paul are running for U.S. Senate in Kentucky.

UPDATED AT 6:20 P.M.

By Bill Estep – bestep@herald-leader.com

A television commercial that questioned Republican Rand Paul’s religious beliefs backfired on Democrat Jack Conway and boosted support for Paul, the Kentucky GOP’s nominee for U.S. Senate said Monday.

Paul said he believes he has been solidly in the lead since the general election began. But when asked during a campaign stop Monday if there was one thing that pushed the race his way, Paul mentioned the ad.

“I think it was a mistake for ‘em to attack my religious beliefs. And I think it backfired on ‘em,” Paul said while speaking to reporters during a campaign stop at TAC Air in Lexington.

The ad refers to Paul’s membership in a secret society at Baylor University that mocked Christianity in satirical articles and was previously banned from the Baptist-affiliated school for being sacrilegious.

It also mentions another college incident in which a woman, who has remained anonymous, said Paul, as part of an ill-conceived prank, tried to get her to smoke pot, then took her to a creek outside town, told her he worshiped “Aqua Buddha,” and made her bow down.

Paul has called the accusations “all lies.”

Paul and Conway were crisscrossing the state on Monday in advance of Election Day. Former President Bill Clinton is expected to appear with Conway at 5 p.m. in Louisville.

During a stop in Lexington, Conway continued his argument that Paul’s anti-government philosophy would undermine a range of federal programs and policies that help people, such as workplace safety rules, access for people with disabilities and college loans and grants.

He also repeated claims that Paul supports imposing a $2,000 deductible on Medicare recipients and a plan that includes doing away with the income tax but adding a 23 percent national sales tax.

“Folks, in the world in which I live, the seniors to whom I talk, they can’t afford a 23 percent national sales tax on groceries . . ., Conway said. “They can’t afford a $2,000 Medicare deductible.”

Filed Under: ElectionsJack ConwayRand PaulUS Senate Race

RSSComments (73)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Voting tomorrow says:

Yes we can! Vote down the arrogant Democrat Congress. Teach these clowns a lesson and send ‘em home with their tails tucked.

2. ghostpony says:

Good news. President Obama is still the one with the veto pen. Only an arrogant party thinks that they can hold this nation hostage for two years while they plot to overthrow him in 2012.

Vote Rand. Vote Failure.
    Like father. Like son.

3. Tommy Caudill says:

ghostpony I like to see a man that has a lot of erection excitement. Your my kind of guy.

4. Tommy Caudill says:

Boy oh boy, I hope this erection have happy ending.

5. ghostpony says:

Well, politicking is hard…

Vote Rand. Vote Failure.
    Like father. Like son.

6. HonestyMatters says:

I’ve learned something from Rand Paul and the Aqua Buddha story. There are a lot of hypocrites in Kentucky. When voters, specifically Christians, thought President Obama was a Muslim, they did not vote for him. Now, Rand Paul has been accused of forcing a woman to worship a false God and the so-called Christians now don’t care. Can you say HYPOCRITES?

7. joseyj says:

Conway should have nixed “Aqua Buddha” and instead used a more familiar word to describe Paul’s irrational behavior – BONG.

8. joseyj says:

Republican Christians are “cafeteria christians” – and very hypocritical – but they don’t seem to care.
    They justify ANY behavior, contingent that the person has an “R” on their forehead.

Heck! there are CURRENTLY 2 “family values” Republican senators who’ve both admitted adulterous affairs – and SINator Vitter is about to be re-elected AFTER wearing diapers with hookers in a prostitution ring!

But denial of reality and irrational thinking are typical of those running from boogeymen, and in this case – boogeymen manufactured by Fox & Frightwing radio.
    So, there are dyed in the wool Evangelicals who oppose adultery but are voting for SINator Vitter for the sole purpose of opposing a boogeyman – Obama’s “socialist” agenda. {gasp!}

9. joseyj says:

I can hardly wait for Boehner to announce Republicans are repealing Obamacare…..

NO more FREE checkups for seniors.
    NO more FREE MARKET health care system.
    NO more YOUNG ADULTS staying on parents’ policies until age 26.
    NO more keeping children ALIVE.

Sounds like a winner, Boehner – go for it!!

10. joseyj says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rob | Nov 1, 2010 | Reply
    I cannot consider Rand since he has the backing of mitch mcconnell

As if McConnell was going to support Conway?

They’ve got clues on sale at Big Lots. Go buy a few.

12. joseyj says:

Help me Tommy Caudill, I’ve got diarrhea of the mouth and I can’t quit raving.

13. Rand Paul spoke the truth. jack “Pretty Boy Floyd” conway bit off more than he could swallow. LMAO!

14. joseyj says:

I ain’t too brite, but I no how to spell Dumocrat.

15. Nancy Pelosi says:

It’s too late now joseyj. You can quit and go to bed.

16. rambo says:

hallie if you think calling obama”obummer”isn’t mature.why is it then mature for you to call a tea part member a”tea bagger”is?to me it like the pot calling the kettle black.

17. rambo says:

josey people who think like you is the reasons democrats are gonna lose big tomorrow

18. PersistentOne says:

Uh Oh….Daddy couldn’t fix this one for Jack…. Matt’s drug dealing, and Jacko’s flip flops finally caught up with em’

Gutter politics may work in the Ville when Daddy and his buds run the city… and cops will protect the family… But when people actually vote… you have to come up with something more than just Obama policies and gutter trash ads….

Sorry Donkey

19. JBH says:

pontoon | Nov 1, 2010 | Reply

JBH, voting for the nut because the president is a communist. Mark my words.

I don’t really care if people think KY is hillbillies. Crap like that is what libs worry about. The good thing about America is that we, the voters, are the boss, and we don’t have to worry about some snobs looking down their noses at us. they can’t take that away from us no matter what they think.
    =============
    Poontoon: The president isn’t a communist and I am NOT a liberal.
    I am a conservative.
    Rand Paul is a village idiot who wants to abolish the U.S. Department of Education and has spoken out against the mining industry.
    Also, if you did not care what other Americans think of Kentuckians, you would not have made your comment.

20. canadian life insurance…

I do agree with your views on Rand Paul says his campaign benefited from Aqua Buddha’ ad … ? Although most of the information provided is true as per my knowledge but I don’t agree fully. I think it should be more practical. I visited your website …

21. resp ontario says:

resp ontario…

Good information on Rand Paul says his campaign benefited from Aqua Buddha’ ad … . As I have read other online views on the same I think the details are well reflected on this.It was a good way of spending evening on Monday . I’ll visit again to re…

22. dog training pa…

I looked through your previous posts on トラックバック(1085件) Soma buy soma cheap soma soma online. Buy …. Nice work there….