Campaign Watchdog: Claim that Rand Paul supports $2,000 Medicare deductible ‘mostly true’

MORE: Read previous Campaign Watchdog stories

By Halimah Abdullah – habdullah@herald-leader.com

The statement: Voters have a choice “between someone who’s going to stand up and protect Medicare and someone who says in Medicare we need a $2,000 deductible.”

— Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Jack Conway in an October 3, 2010, debate criticizing Republican U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul

The ruling: Mostly true

The facts: On several occasions, including a speech in June of last year to the conservative Center-Right Coalition in Lexington, Paul asserted that Medicare would best be run under a “market-based system.”

“And the real answer to Medicare would be a $2,000 deductible, but try selling that one in an election,” Paul said at the time.

He took a similar, but more clearly defined, stance following the Oct. 3 debate on Fox News during an appearance on that station’s Your World with Neil Cavuto show. In that interview, Paul made clear that he was not advocating a change for people already on Medicare or Social Security.

“I’m not talking about changing the deductible on anyone who gets Medicare currently,” Paul said on the show. “But I am saying younger people — probably 55 and under.”

Paul now says he was only suggesting a “possible answer” to sustain Medicare. “I threw out a possible answer, but I immediately said in all those speeches that it wouldn’t work,” Paul said Wednesday on WVLK-AM’s Sue Wylie Show.

In September 2009, however, Paul said during a town hall meeting that he planned to push the idea of a $2,000 deductible despite a possible political backlash.

“A $2,000 Medicare deductible would solve a huge amount of problems,” Paul said at one point during the meeting. “The hard part is, how do you present this on national TV? What’s going to happen to me in a statewide race if I tell people I think the Medicare deductible is going to be higher? Am I going to be hooted out of the room?

“I’m willing to take a risk because I think it’s the right thing to do” because the other option is a publicly funded health care system like Canada’s, he said.

Filed Under: Campaign WatchdogElectionsFederal GovernmentJack ConwayRand PaulUS Senate Race

Comments

1. Tommy Caudill says:

How many repubs are in support of this measure? How many repubs or their parents could afford this measure? I’ll tell you right now without my father being able to use the facilities at the VA he would be in the poor house.

2. Akhmed says:

Tommy Caudill, you learn Holy Koran. Then you understand better. You come to mosque because you are infidel. We will show you the way of Muhammed then you will no more be wretched, and waste.

3. Steve says:

This is the liberal hearald leader who cares.

4. Paul says:

@Steve, apparently YOU care. Thanks for commenting.

5. fling the ballot says:

Tommycaudill, always good for a laugh

6. Tommy Caudill says:

I’m not talking about someone working fling the crap, I’m talikng about the elderly on a fixed income. Surely you are a little smarter than that, right?

7. Tommy Caudill says:

If the repubs had not been out scaring the hell out of people during the healthcare debate, we could all have bought into Medicare. Would that have made you happy fling the crap?

8. KYImmigrant says:

Do you think Randy knows that people on Medicare already are paying for supplemental insurace to help cover costs that Medicare doesn’t cover? Randy should thinki before he spouts out like this, one day it is he things that business owners should be able to discriminate against people, then he says this thing about $2000 deductibles, then it a national sales tax, etc.

9. john57 says:

“since my deductible is $10,000 in order to afford insurance for my family in case of a major medical emergency, I think $2k sounds pretty darn good.”

First, you chose the deductible amount and second, the deductible and costs are the fault and blame of the insurance and pharmaceutical companies. On top of that, your comments are even more evidence the insurance companies are charging you way too much and the government run (some might even call it “socialist”, although that isn’t accurate….) Medicare program is a far more affordable program than a for profit, private insurance company charges and thus it is more accessible to more people. Meanwhile the insurance companies have been raking in record profits….either way you make Medicare look far more attractive than for profit, private insurance….

10. Tommy Caudill says:

Wow it took him exactly 24 hours to go from this “Rand Paul would replace income tax with sales tax” to this “Rand Paul distances himself from national sales tax proposal”. What else is he gonna reneg on before November 2? The next thing it will be, I didn’t want to be Senator from KY I thought I was in Texas.

11. Tommy Caudill says:

Well we need to no further than the person who likes to mock me than to know the repubs have no ideas on how to move our country forward.

12. Tommy Caudill says:

Well we need to look no further than the person who likes to mock me than to know the repubs have no ideas on how to move our country forward.

13. Tommy Caudill says:

I just found out that Rand Paul is so childish this guy who’s mocking me actually works for his campaign. How pathetic is that, he has to have someone monitoring this blog site to try and change my message.