The statement: “Do you want someone who understands what our disabled vets need, or do you want Rand Paul, who says he’d do away with the Americans with Disabilities Act?”

— Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Jack Conway, at an Oct. 11, 2010 debate in Northern Kentucky.

The ruling: False

The facts: Paul, the Republican nominee for U.S. Senate, has not said he would do away with the ADA, which creates rules for accommodating people with disabilities.

However, Paul has suggested that the law goes too far, incorrectly describing what it requires for many businesses.

This is what Paul said in a May interview on National Public Radio: “I think if you have a two-story office and you hire someone who’s handicapped, it might be reasonable to let him have an office on the first floor rather than the government saying you have to have a $100,000 elevator.”

However, elevators “are not required in facilities that are less than three stories or have fewer than 3,000 square feet per story, unless the building is a shopping center or mall; the professional office of a health care provider; a public transit station; or an airport passenger terminal,” according to the Web site of the U.S. Justice Department, which enforces the law.

The law only requires that public facilities, such as stores, banks, hotels and restaurants, “remove architectural barriers in existing facilities when it is ‘readily achievable,’ i.e., it can be done ‘without much difficulty or expense,’” according to the Justice Department.

Filed Under: Campaign WatchdogElectionsFederal GovernmentJack ConwayRand PaulUS Senate Race

Comments

1. Prof. Gilligan says:

Jack Conway, (a liberal Democrat) is willing to LIE to us in hopes of winning a Senate seat for himself?????????

i’m shocked. shocked, i say.

2. jrc says:

WOW. I can’t believe it. Yet another lie by a desperate campaign. “Conway lies ” should be on the front page of the Herald.

3. Monica Slutinsky says:

But shouldn’t women vote for Jack Conway because he’s so handsome? Oooooh-h-h-h, he makes me melt.

4. Prof. Gilligan says:

Sadly, many women WILL vote for Conway because “he’s cute”.

To many women I’ve known, that is the sole criteria to win their vote.

Sad, but true.

5. kyguy says:

Despite not knowing the law, Rand Paul claims to know of at least some provisions of the ADA that he opposes but he doesn’t claim to know about any provisions of it that he supports.

6. David Axelprod says:

Hey Conway, President Obama is available to campaign for you. Just give him a call. In the rare event that he’s campaigning for someone else, Harry Reid can come.

7. Barry says:

Jack Conway is lying to the people of Kentucky?

Why am I not shocked?

Old K-Y Jack, at it again.

8. pattyamos says:

jack conway said, republicans don’t want black people to get out and vote!

oh, wait. sorry, that was barack obama

9. Tommy Caudill says:

Rand Paul’s college group mocked Christians – Ben Smith – http://politi.co/bW8PcI

10. Tommy Caudill says:

I tried to get into Rand’s college group, but they black balled me. I think it was my breath.

11. Tommy Caudill says:

You’re right, my breath was actually clear of marijuana.

12. Tommy Caudill says:

Liberal (definition)

1. Broad-Minded: tolerant of diffeent views and standards of behavior in others.

2. Progressive politically or socialy: favoring gradual reform, especially political reforms that extend democracy, distrubute wealth more evenly

13. Tommy Caudill says:

con•ser•va•tive [ kən súrvətiv ]

adjective

Definition:

1. reluctant to accept change: in favor of preserving the status quo and traditional values and customs, and against abrupt change
    2. of conservatism: relating to, characteristic of, or displaying conservatism
    3. cautious and on low side: cautiously moderate and therefore often less than the final outcome
    Several hundred dollars is probably a very conservative estimate.
    4. conventional in appearance: conventional or restrained in style and avoiding showiness
    a conservative suit
    5. using minimum medical intervention: designed to help relieve symptoms or preserve health with a minimum of medical intervention

14. Tommy Caudill says:

We can see by these definitions that reopugs like to leave things the way they are. They’re afraid of change or anything different. They like the stus quo and are willing to let their fellow man die because they fear medical intevention.

15. pat says:

Interesting that the TeaBirchers don\’t mind the fact that the majority of the above article is more about Rand Paul lying about the disabilities act. It does not require an elevator for two-story buildings and there is no proof anyone has been sued for that. But that lie is obviously ok. Gotta love that teabag hypocrisy.

16. Yauze.com says:

Washington State’s Jamal Atofau, Andre Barrington Arrested on Drug Charges…

I found your entry interesting thus I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

17. Arlene Kirby says:

I drive my scooter around Walmarts everyday. How in the hell would I have ever got one if this Paul Rand person was elected. If Medicaid hadn’t bought me a scooter I wouldn’t be able to go to Bingo.

18. Noah Webster says:

All the dictionary definitions in the world can’t change the fact that liberals have made people dependent on big government, and once you’re glued onto the Federal tit, you don’t want to change.

19. Tommy Caudill says:

Noah,

I’m so sick of repugs acting like liberals don’t work when in fact most of the repugs I know have never worked a day in their life.

I started working when I was five pulling tobacco plants on our farm. I’ve worked hard my entire life. I worked on hore farms in Bourbon county cleaning stalls, feeding and shearing horses and cutting and bailing hay when I was 14. When I graduated from high school I started working as a carpenter alongside my father in-law. After we finished the job we were on I started working for Coor’s Bio-Tech in Winchester until they shutdown in 1994. Then I went to work for Alltech in Nicholasville where I worked 16 hours a day six nd seven days a week. I did that for four years until I went to work for Cooper Standard Automotive in Mount Sterling. I was called by a recruiter in Baltimore Maryland to come and work for Lonza as a researcher for new medicine. They shutdown after two years and the I went to work for Medimmune making flu vaccine where I currently work.

20. Fa-Q says:

WRONG!!!!
    “So, don’t tell me that liberals don’t work. The majority of us are the hardest working people in this country and that’s why we are liberal.”

I WILL tell you that you are in the minority, bub! The MAJORITY of liberals live in the large east and west coast cities and do not work much — a large percentage of them live off the government. Hard work moves most people toward being conservative. Understanding that hard work is a Biblical principle and that the further one strays from core truths, the more lost one becomes. What a joke Tommy!

21. Fyre says:

I just pooped

22. Tommy Caudill says:

Well whaen you’re raised in a Pentecostal houshold believe me you learn how to work and work hard. When you say most liberals don’t work name one that you know that doesn’t work hard. I’ll name you 20 conservatives to your one.

23. Tommy Caudill says:

I apologize for the bad typing kind of hard to type with a cast on your right wrist, lol.

24. Tommy Caudill says:

And one more thing. Our outhouse didn’t have electricity, but we still wiped our butts because we were liberals.

25. Tommy Caudill says:

Fyre, you’re welcom to use my outhouse anytime.

26. JKR says:

There were exceptions to that ‘correction’ of Paul’s position. Given his profession, do you really think ‘office of a health care provider’ (himself or someone he knew) might not apply?

27. Campaign Watchdog: Claim that Rand Paul pushes abolishing ……

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

28. Tommy Caudill says:

Rand Paul Says He Will Cut Pay for KY Farmers, Calling Their Pay a “Welfare Check” http://bit.ly/95ItwC

29. Tommy Caudill says:

Rand Paul pushing for a fair tax just shows his lack of basic economics. In an article by the non-partisan Poilifact suggested that unless you made at least $200 thousand a year you would definitely be hurt by a fair tax. We still want to even think about electing this guy to anything other than the head of sanitation?

30. Jason Wright says:

Great suggested. thank you :0

31. Campaign Watchdog: Claim that Rand Paul pushes abolishing ……

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

32. phyre says:

Let’s concentrate on what Taliban Rand did say. A pregnant raped woman has her rapists child or she goes to jail.
    That will sure get the woman’s vote.

33. Totally Disagree says:

I heard it with my own ears. Rand Paul may not have said he wants to “abolish” the disabilities act, but he did say someone who had to use a wheelchair should just stay on the first floor, no elevator necessary for them. Hey, that’s close enough for me to be considered “TRUE.” Sorry, Watchdog, you dropped the ball on this one.

34. The Facts says:

No, I think his opponent has lied to us more than Conway. How about that doctor’s license of his? How did he get it? I want an honest answer. It matters to this voter!

Doctors are licensed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky. If you have a problem with Paul’s licensure, take it up with the Democrats who run Frankfort.

36. [...] here to see the original: Campaign Watchdog: Claim that Rand Paul pushes abolishing … This entry was posted in Politics and tagged Campaign Watchdog, claim, disabled, disabled-vets, [...]

37. [...] Campaign Watchdog: Claim that Rand Paul pushes abolishing disabilities act ‘false’ : Blu… [...]

38. Bill Adkins says:

Just read this ‘finding’ — and is it not a difference without a distinction? What is revealed is that it is Rand Paul who lied. “… Paul has suggested that the law goes too far, incorrectly describing what it requires for many businesses.
    …” and “…Paul said in a May interview on National Public Radio: “I think if you have a two-story office and you hire someone who’s handicapped, it might be reasonable to let him have an office on the first floor rather than the government saying you have to have a $100,000 elevator.”…” ending in “Yahoo! News reported soon after Paul’s May statement that the Justice Department and legal experts could not cite any instance of a private employer being successfully sued to install an elevator.”

39. [...] Campaign Watchdog: Claim that Rand Paul pushes abolishing … [...]

40. Tommy Caudill says:

Cache of writings expose Rand Paul as a college libertarian. Check ‘em out here: http://tpm.ly/abhnyO

41. Yauze.com says:

Michael J Fox Reshoots Back to the Future Teaser Trailer…

42. Kids room decor…

Hi and thanks for this first-rate article. I am always searching for Kids room tips to recommend to my own readers. It’s exactly what I was looking out for. A good post….

43. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog

44. This looks so cool. I’m so happy that I find this blog, it seems that blogs are getting more creative in every aspect and its nice to see. Thank you for sharing.