Bill Clinton scheduled to campaign for Jack Conway on Monday

October 06, 2010 | | Comments Comments

Former President Bill Clinton

MORE: New Rand Paul ad contradicts 2009 statements about Medicare deductible

MORE: National GOP ad accuses Conway of waffling on Bush tax cuts

UPDATED AT 12:59 P.M.

By Jack Brammer – jbrammer@herald-leader.com

FRANKFORT – Former President Bill Clinton, whom a recent national poll said is the most popular politician in America, is scheduled to come to Kentucky on Monday to campaign for Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Jack Conway.

Clinton’s close friend, Lexington businessman Jerry Lundergan, confirmed Wednesday the scheduled visit.

Lundergan said the location of Clinton’s visit has not yet been finalized.

Clinton’s appearance in the state would be designed to help offset an enthusiasm gap between Democrats and Republicans. Polls have consistently shown that Republicans say they’re more likely to vote in the Nov. 2 election than Democrats.

Polls have shown Conway, the state’s attorney general, generally trailing Republican Rand Paul, a Bowling Green eye surgeon who is making his first bid for public office, although some recent surveys have shown the race in a statistical dead heat.

As of mid-September, Democrats outnumber Republicans in the state 1,627,673 to 1,064,962. A total of 192,798 Kentuckians were registered as independents or with other parties.

Paul’s campaign manager, Jesse Benton, said in an e-mail, “Jack Conway is welcome to bring in all of the out-state liberals he wants. We hope he has (U.S. Rep.) Charlie Rangel campaign for him again like he did in 2002. And of course, our offer to pay for President Obama’s plane ticket still stands.”

A recent Wall Street Journal/NBC poll showed Clinton as the most popular politician in the country.

Fifty-five percent of those polled held a positive view of Clinton, while only 23 percent had a negative view, the best ratio of any of the politicians or political parties polled.

Several popular national Republicans have appeared in Kentucky on behalf of Paul’s campaign, including former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

Paul and Conway are scheduled to participate in a debate Monday night in Covington for the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce.

Filed Under: Democratic PartyElectionsJack ConwayRand PaulUS Senate Race

Comments

1. GermantownDem says:

No doubt about it –

When Bill Clinton shows up, suddenly a whole bunch of teabaggers find out there’s nothin’ in the bag.

But, way to tremble with excitement anyway.

2. jcon says:

You did not put much thought into that one. Good to hear from you though.

3. Mike says:

I guess the libs can forget about trying to convince voters that the U.S. Senate race is about local issues, and not about national issues. The left DESPERATELY NEEDS Conway in Washington to help with the liberal agenda. His desire to win has nothing to do with helping the people of Kentucky.

4. Dry cleaners' mother says:

Now everybody knows what we do with your clothes after you drop them off.

5. problemo says:

You probably have noticed I have a vowel at the end of my name. You know what that means!

6. Mike says:

Also I want to make SURE the libs UNDERSTAND that Rand Paul is all about national local issues, so I am TALKING LOUD so those idiots can possibly get a clue.

7. chris says:

Dadgummit I messed up and tole everybody I live in a trailor park.

Anyway I got all the wives and daughters together, so…GROUP HUG!!

8. conservativepatriot says:

You young rapscallions think you are mighty clever with your spoofing, but your day of reckoning draws near.

9. Jeff Lewis says:

Take an Exlax grandpa.

10. Jeff Lewis says:

Here have one of mine.

11. conservativepatriot says:

You young whippersnapper, you have a fresh mouth.

I’ve half a mind to…well, at least I can restrain myself, which is undoubtedly more than can say for you.

12. Anonymous says:

patriot, it’s not surprising that you’re being insulted by someone who is an op-ed writer for the New York Times. Google the name – it’s an interesting search.

13. randstheman says:

I see the old Hairpulled-Littlegirl is crying about Clinton again.

14. randstilltokesup says:

You mean the Hairball-Bleeder?

Anyway we know they both inhaled, but methinks Rand still burns a fattie sometime.

15. singaporesling says:

Teabags in bulk by mail! Very cheap and good

Oolong, Earl Grey, many more!

ubik.com

16. Linda says:

Let’s think. If Rand Paul is so good and smart, savy and such a good little Repub then why didn’t Mitch McConnell back him? I think Republicans, as evidenced by your petty comments on this page, are mean spirited and small minded. I hope Conway sends Paul back to his white coat status to run his own little business. And, I think when it comes down to it Kentuckian democrats will come out and give Conway the support. At least he doesn’t come off half cocked like Paul. And on the subject of Clinton, you gotta know he would be re-elected if he could run again, and that eats Republicans lunch!! You are so predictable.

17. Rufus says:

If I made $250,000 +, I’d vote for Paulie, too; otherwise, I’d be voting against myself…and for the billionaires who are really running his campaign. Teabaggers are just Republicans in drag, creating a new identity for themselves to hide from the mess Bush created…

18. Gallows Pole says:

A hearty UK sorority welcome to Bill Clinton the rapist. Maybe he can at least he teach Jack to swing the right way.

19. Tommy Caudill says:

Toxic coal sludge pollutes Ky. town 10 years later: http://bit.ly/bg4Hkp.

If this doesn’t prove Rand Paul is wrong for KY nothing does. Can you imagine letting giant coal companies police themselves on these matters? We would all be dying at an early age from cancer and other numerous diseases. These people are just like the republican party, they care nothing about who they hurt as long as they get theirs.

20. Bill Clinton scheduled to campaign for Jack Conway on Monday ……

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

21. Ron Jackson says:

Why doesn’t Jack get off the aqua- whatever campaign and come out of the closet if he loves truth so much?

22. albert says:

albert…

excelent post, keep it coming…

23. chat says:

bil clinton a is turkish

24. sellnfl says:

This article is novel, I really love it. I also have some ideas written in my article, you can have a look if you have the interest.wholesale soccer jerseys We can also discuss different topics.