Georgetown candidate for state House arrested for reckless driving

Ryan Quarles

Ryan Quarles

By Shawntaye Hopkins – shopkins@herald-leader.com

A Georgetown man who is seeking a state House seat in the Nov. 2 election is scheduled to appear in Fayette District Court Thursday to answer a charge of reckless driving, according to court records.

A police report said Ryan Quarles, 26, was arrested near North Mill and West Short streets in Lexington about 3:10 a.m. Saturday. Quarles was driving a black Jeep Cherokee through a parking lot, weaving through cars, the uniform citation said.

The report said Quarles showed signs of intoxication and had a blood alcohol level of .067 when given a breath test. His blood alcohol level was below the legal limit of .08.

Quarles, a Republican challenging Democratic state Rep. Charlie Hoffman in the 62nd House District race, is a recent University of Kentucky law school graduate.

In a statement, Quarles said his attorney has told him the arrest was “highly unusual.”

“I was given a traffic citation for driving slowly in a parking lot,” Quarles said. “A Lexington police officer chose to arrest me after I approached him to ask for directions about how to exit the lot which had been blocked due to WEG festivities.”

Quarles said he is reviewing “how best to defend my good name.”

Previously, Quarles has worked for U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and state Sen. Damon Thayer, R-Georgetown.

Quarles has been released from the Fayette County jail on bond.

Hat tip: Page One Kentucky

Filed Under: ElectionsKY General Assembly

Comments

1. McAllisterBryant says:

Maybe he considers it just a “minor” infraction.

Wait…I sense a pattern.

2. cardinal red says:

Probaby the same offense as “noodling”.

3. Conservative says:

Wow, what a dumb move. I hate to hear that. I was hoping for better from him. I bet this throws a wrench in his campaign.

4. Big Ben 4 liberty says:

Too bad he is not a Democrat as this would be a resume enhancing move for him.

5. WKY says:

This is ridiculous.
    His BAC is no where near being illegal.

And since when is driving through cars in a parking lot reckless driving.

If so the cops could make their quota in one hour at the Nicholasville Walmart.

Agree with WKY. This is a non-issue. There is no DUI charge and reckless driving is not a big deal.

7. Rye'an Quarles says:

As my abburnie – my ATTORNEY same, uh, said, this awwest is vewwy unwoosual.

I was even a terrific ovation – uh, GIVEN a twaffic sensation, insation, I was given a ticket, a Wexington powice offifer CHOOSED to awwest me after I walked up to him and barfed on his shoes, uh, blew in his fooze, uh, wet on his leg, uh, asked about the WEG to park in the sleeping lot, uh, sleep in the parking lot, uh, I just wanted to get the poopwhistle outta there.

8. Shelley Dee says:

hmmm. How best to defend your “good name”? How about, not driving while intoxicated? Kaithnxbai.

9. dixxiecrat says:

Weaving in snd out of cars is a dangerous procedure, he very easily could have ran over someone, maybe a child , an elderly maybe a handicapped person. The police acted approriately in my opinion. He needs to act like a man and take his medicine. No where near drunk does not make his actions OK. Sounds to me he had his snoot full.

10. factchecker says:

Shelly Dee, Quarles was charged with reckless driving. If he was driving drunk he would have been charge with DUI. Typical Dem, can’t get your facts straight.

dixxiecrat, are your children out in the streets at 3 am? If they are then I think the police will knock on your door.

What is the real crime? A guy arrested on a charge that typically only draws a citation, or a guy like Hoffman who’s voted for $4 billion in tax increases since 2004, costing us jobs in a time of double digit unemployment.

11. CheeseHead says:

I have been a cop for 16 years and if someone was driving that bad through a parking lot and had a BA of .067 then he would have been charged with DUI. The law only says it’s PER SE at .08. If I can articulate to a jury that he was driving so badly, failed field sobriety tests, and then blew a .067….that my friend is driving under the influence. The article doesn’t tell how he did on FSTs. I bet they snatched him and when he didn’t blow high enough, they decided to charge him with the reckless. You can’t give a BA to someone without being arrested for DUI, that is part of being a certified breath test operator.

12. Kybuilttoyota says:

I am disappointed to hear of his arrest. Like so many, I had hoped he could take down Hoffman and probably still can. Would like to see him take ownership of his wrong and just get on with life.
    Thank you cheesehead, I was going to say the same thing you did till I got to your post. Most people don’t know you can be arrested for DUI even if you don’t blow above the legal limit.
    As a early support of Ryans, I hope that he will learn from this and like the old saying goes, Nothing good happens after midnight!

13. Bob says:

WKY, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Cheesehead nailed it. This guy was .013 away from being per se DUI. Many, many, many arrests and convictions are made for under .08. This guy doesn’t have the good sense God gave a goat. To celebrate being qualifed to deal with the law by breaking the law and by endangering himself and others is all the proof needed.

Ryan Quarles is barely able to take care of himself, much less be responsible for representing citizens as a state representative.

Someone should inquire as to the drinking habits and DUI arrest history of the current Speaker of the Kentucky House of Representatives.

And if there’s one thing I know something about…

16. […] Georgetown candidate for state House arrested for reckless driving … […]

I guess I should be flattered that my name is being spoofed here now. But yes, I know plenty about the Speaker of the House. If there is a politician in this state for whom I have more contempt and yes, outright hatred, I’d be hard-pressed to identify them. I wouldn’t give Greg Stumbo air if he was in a jug, and I wouldn’t pee on him if he was on fire.

18. PikeCoGOP says:

I knew along this kid was not ready for prime-time. No more empty-suit RINOS!!!

19. Aqua Buddha says:

Mr. Quarles gave us an insight into his character. Now the voters can decide what they think of a punk who blames the police for arresting him when he’s been drinking, driving, and breathing his alcohol-breath into the cop’s face.

And the people who defend him by saying he only blew .06? Please, where’s your tripe about “personal responsibility”. If it works for unemployed people, it should work on clowns like this guy.