Jack Conway continues hammering Rand Paul on drug issue

September 24, 2010 | | Comments Comments

Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Jack Conway released another TV ad late Friday criticizing Republican opponent Rand Paul for his stance on using federal money to fight the state’s drug problem.

The latest 30-second spot features Boyd County resident Mike Donta, whose son, Michael, died as a result of his drug addiction, according to the ad.

“For my family and the thousands of others just like us, drugs are a crisis,” Donta says. “I can’t believe that Rand Paul said that drugs aren’t a pressing issue in Kentucky and that he would end federal drug enforcement. He doesn’t know us. He doesn’t understand us. How can he represent us?”

Donta is referencing a comment made by Paul this summer to the Associated Press in which he said drugs are not a “real pressing issue” for voters. Paul has since said the comment was misconstrued by the media and the he understands drug abuse is a serious problem facing Eastern Kentucky.

However, confusion continues regarding Paul’s stance on federal funding for Operation UNITE, a task force involved in fighting drugs in the region, or other regional drug task forces.

Paul told a group of county officials gathered in Louisville this summer that he would “rather see drug abuse and dependency treated and paid for at the local level.”

Paul explained that when tax money goes to Washington, much gets wasted so, if elected, he would work to keep more of Kentuckians’ tax dollars at home to deal with problems such as drugs. He did not say directly that he would seek to cut federal funding for Operation UNITE.

Clay County Sheriff Kevin Johnson, a Republican, has since said that Paul assured him in a telephone call seeking Johnson’s endorsement that he would not seek to cut funding for Operation UNITE. However, Paul declined Wednesday to confirm his support for the task force when asked by the Herald-Leader.

“Dr Paul’s position has not changed,” Paul Campaign spokesman Gary Howard said in a statement on Wednesday. “He still believes that adjudication and rehabilitation of drug abusers would be best conducted at the local level, but he has never stated there would be no federal involvement in combating our drug problem.”

Paul did not answer a question on whether he supports UNITE or whether he thinks federal money that comes to other agencies and programs in Kentucky for drug enforcement and treatment should be cut.

– John Stamper and Bill Estep

Filed Under: ElectionsJack ConwayRand PaulUS Senate Race

Comments

1. benjamin says:

Rand Paul is a psycho.

2. chingo says:

anon, sorry, I was talking about his general statements, not realizing he was claiming something about you. How would he know?

Wendell Ford “beloved?”

Hah. Not by me he isn’t. I don’t see why Kentuckians would continue to elect that old crusted-over socialist the way they did.

4. Michelle says:

Anyone who is waiting for the end of times scares the crap out of me. And the whole Under God crap was a very late addition to the pledge, which I find offensive.

Conway still needs to come up with something better than “I’m not Paul.”

5. Anonymous says:

Apology accepted, Chingo.

Michelle, I’m not waiting for the end of times. Jesus himself said He didn’t know the day or the hour and if He doesn’t, no one else does either.

I’m sorry you are offended by God, but I’d say that is because you don’t know Him.

6. Tommy Caudill says:

I’m a liberal Christian, does anyone object to that? I was raised in a very Christain household with tw wonderful oarents who taught me that Jesus dies for everyone that day and we were to love everyone regardless of who they were or where they came from. They also taught me that everyone was responsible for their own sins and they and they alone would have to answer for their actions. Those people that are on here putting people down because they believe differently than you should be ashamed of themselves. We are all Americans and we should never forget what that means.

I like the democratic views because they like to look out for the little man and give them a fair chance in this great country. They feel that everyone is free to make their own decisions and not be forced by anyone to do what they feel is wrong. They don’t want to force their own ideology on anyone and that makes us the greatest country on Earth. Anyone can claim to be a Christian but until you’ve walked a mile in my shoes, please refrain from judgement on me.

In 1990 there were no jobs to speak of in Central KY and me and my family paid our bills and bought our groceries by the most degrading thing I’ve ever done in my life, we traveled the roads of Montgomery County picking up soda and beer cans and every Ale8 bottle we could find to recycle. We did this for months, my wife, mother and little brother. We didn’t go for a handout from anyone even though we might have been able to but I will not say someone is lazy or taking advantage of the situation when I know what it’s like to be down on your luck.

Speaking of the drug problem we have in KY, you have a right to your opinion and I’m sure that opinoin will change if that problem ever touches your life personally. When you get that call from the hospital at two in the morning telling you your child or maybe your brother or sister has overdosed or God forbid died from an overdose. See it’s easy to sit te comfort of your home and type hateful and sometimes demeaning language about people on here, people you really know nothing about and sometimes you even pat yourself on the back for the words you’ve written about that person.

I know there’s a lot of people from KY that hates our President, but when you really think about it, what’s he really done to you? Has he made you less free than you were two years ago? Has he called you and told you were worthless? Has he taken away any of your rights? Has he ever done anything he said he wasn’t going to do during his election? This past Thursday marked the sixth anniversary of the #HCR bill, did it hurt you any because your child can stay on your policy now until the age of 26? Did it hurt you because you can longer be denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition? Maybe it bothers you because you can now purchase insurance from Oklahoma now if you choose or any state for that matter.

7. Tommy Caudill says:

I sent a Tweet to Mike Huckabee the other day telling him how disgusted I was because he compared my niece to a material thing. I’ll share my Tweet and the responses I receive from Governor Huckabee.

@GovMikeHuckabee Shame on you for comparing my niece who was born with a serious heart condition to a material thing. Some minister you are.

RGeorgeDunn @TommyCaudill . providing for pre-existing condition is a State matter, w/5+ States providing coverage for those who can’t get ins. #Huck12

RGeorgeDunn @TommyCaudill , Have you tried Blue cross. They are not suppose to hold pre-existing more then 6 months no coverage as a non-profit.

RGeorgeDunn @TommyCaudill , We should make insurance co. not be able to raise premiums or cancel coverage on exiting customer.

As you can see by the last response he was agreeing that insurance companies should not be allowed to do their shameful practices. He also told me to try Blue Cross and said “They are not suppose to hold pre-existing more then 6 months no coverage as a non-profit.” Do you think a child should be denied coverage because they were unfortunate to be born with a pre-existing condition? Do you think a child born with a serious condition can survice without proper care for six months? For the party who says they’re so pro-life they sure have a funny way of showing it. Senator Coburn told a woman whose husband was dying of cancer to some affect that neighbors should pitch in to help each other out. I believe in helping out your neighbor whenever you can and whatever you can afford to give and I would give them the last cent I have but, how many people do yo know that could affors to pay for someone’s chemo treatments or their blood transfusions? My wife was recently hospitalized with a mild stroke, she was in the hospital from Friday to Monday, we got the bill from the hospital and the total was $15 thousand just from the hospital. Five different doctors saw her and she had two spinal taps, two CTScans and several X-Rays and the total from those bills were $13 thousand. We have Blue Cross insurance and we still had to pay $2800 for that bill. Now I know that’s on’y a small margin of the total bill but, could you imagine someone without insurance? Most people would either have to mortgage their house or we the taxpayer would pay for it one way or the other. I don’t know about you all but I would rather everyone have insurance even if cost me another 3% in taxes I’m still coming out ahead.

Think about that and then you tell me which is the better deal for you and your country.

8. Jeff Lewis says:

God bless you Tommy Caudill. I knew you thought all these things but I never get tired of reading you. Why we are in the strange and dismaying struggle we are in, ans why so many pretend that the poor are their enemies, only God knows, but even the ones who go among us sowing confusion, do so because they are confused.

It is written in the Bible: Why do the heathen rage? and, Not everyone that sayeth, Lord, Lord, is doing My will. It is obvious that these people speak of “the government” as if it was a foreign army. Many of them come from the West – not California, but other Western states, where apparently the world and Washington are like far-off fairy-tales.

And the closer this country gets to a reckoning with its history as wasteful, as violent, as destructive…as childish – the closer this country gets to facing its responsibilities as a nation in the world, the more these particular heathen rage.

In the Bible God takes nations away from one people and gives them to another. This is happening now to some extent. People who love freedom and work hard are being drawn here – people who are fascinated by fear and jealousy are becoming unable to find peace here.

We just have to keep trying to make sense as you have done, and trust Jesus. I pray that your wife will recover completely and feel good. Western medicine is great, but sometimes something different like acupuncture can restore someone’s sense of well-being. Herbal remedies can also help.

9. WhoMadeWho? says:

One thing I appriciate about Rand, even tho he is christian, he seems to keep it 99.9% apart from his politics.

Yes, the UNDER GOD thing is offensive due to my relationship with REALITY. Saying “you don’t know him” suggest you are of a higher enlightenment than those who have not fallen victim to the fairy tales. I beleive the opposite is true and pity those who fashion their lives to a false promise.

My 2 cent: Conway(& Jeff Lewis) are blatant ideological dictators.

Jesus said freedom is good mkay(that may or may not be a direct, factual quote. I mean I never actually heard him say it and I’ve never met anyone named Jesus Christ so I won’t go on record as to quote the holy spirit in order to make a point or further my agenda).

10. Jeff Lewis says:

I’ve never met anyone named Thomas Jefferson either, and not to “further my agenda” or anything, but he wrote a book, like Jesus’ friends did, and that way we kind of get a sense of what they said.

One thing I “appriciate” about you, “WhoMadeWho?”, is that even though you are practically illiterate, you keep it about 87% apart from your politics.

So, somebody told you that Jesus said freedom is good? What was your reaction?

I’m sure your particular way of saying “mkay” is very endearing to your many friends.

11. XKYgirl says:

JEFF LEWIS: The QUESTION remains: Are you a COMMUMNIST or a MARXIST??? Just (STILL) asking … and please answer TRUTHFULLY – after all – we already know.

12. Jeff Lewis says:

Are you asking me this in the sense in which Glenda the Good Witch of the North asks Dorothy? “Are you a good witch or a bad witch?”

I mean, is this the choice you’re giving me – am I one or the other?

And may I ask how you claim to know this?

And if it is not presuming too much upon your patience –

Are these bad things to you? What follows, in your world, when you “know” that someone is such-and-such? What do you do?

13. Jeff Lewis says:

And is it too much to ask, that you should check your spelling?

14. chingo says:

Tommy said: “I like the democratic views because they like to look out for the little man and give them a fair chance in this great country.”
    ** At some point it seems to turn from being a fair shake to being something like a sharecropper — trapped**
    “They feel that everyone is free to make their own decisions” ** I sense a great deal of confusion on your part. Govt policies (I use to only include dems but GOP is getting just as bad) are based in great part on a seeming belief that people cannot make their own decisions. The direct result is bigger govt designed to do what we citizens cannot do for ourselves!! “They don’t want to force their own ideology on anyone” **Not anymore than anyone else who seeks to quash the expression of others’ opinions. But then again, there are a lot of people in that camp**

IMO, We need more freedom, less govt involvement. If the short term result is more people in trouble, it will then be our responsibility as Christians to love and care for them.

Govt is not a foreign army, but it SHOULD be kept at arms length. Look at our protections from govt put into our founding documents. Govt is a necessity, but needs to be at a bare minimum for the sake of freedom.

I’m not going to judge you Tommy. Christians have Christ in common, not outlook on govt.

I have no idea if God will judge what our govt did or did not do, but I DO know each individual will be accounted for.

One day every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord. It does not matter whether it is now, as I do, or later. If you think it is a “fairy tale” as someone said above, it is later for you, but count on it.

Personally, I remove all scripture from my frame of reference when I think about govt and politics. The Word is all about each and every single human being, not groups of people or companies or govt entities.

Peace

15. Jeff Lewis says:

I disagree with you about a lot of things, chingo, as regards government and religion. However, when you had an opportunity to bear false witness against me, up above here, you didn’t take it; you vouched for me a little bit; for that I owe you, and here’s your recognition.

16. JKR says:

Why aren’t you reporting that PolitiFact has determined Jack Conway’s statement against Rand Paul to be FALSE?

17. Bridgett says:

JKR,
    dont bogart that joint my friend! Paul has said it was not a pressing issue before he said it was a pressing issue.
    Like many of Pauls positions, he has flip flopped after he realized most Kentuckians dont agree with him.

18. chingo says:

no reason to say otherwise. Disagree, we may, but ya gotta call ‘em as ya see-um

19. Tommy Caudill says:

I want everyone to take the time and read this article. Take your time read each word and look at each table and compare what happened to America in the last decade. I only ask you to do this because I love this country and I don’t want it to be destroyed by uneducated voters or an uneducated Senator. We cannot afford another decade like the one we’re leaving we have got to get better and this election is an important part on getting us there or not.

20. Tommy Caudill says:

VIDEO: “Rand Paul, you’re in a government building pushing people around!” http://bit.ly/9cURSf

I’m not a Rand Paul fan, but Paul didn’t say that drugs aren’t a pressing issue. He said they are not a pressing issue in this election. There’s a huge difference.

22. Jack Conway continues hammering Rand Paul on drug issue ……

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

23. [...] demonstrated his hypocrisy when he criticized opponent Rand Paul for opposing Kentucky’s policy of taking federal money in the so-called war on drugs. Paul told a [...]

24. [...] demonstrated his hypocrisy when he criticized opponent Rand Paul for opposing Kentucky’s policy of taking federal money in the so-called war on drugs. Paul told a [...]

25. Pelase visit my blog to view cheap electronics.