New leader of Democrats donated to McConnell and Fletcher

By Jack Brammer – jbrammer@herald-leader.com

FRANKFORT — The newly appointed chairman and executive director of the Kentucky Democratic Party has contributed to campaigns of prominent Republicans in recent years, including U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell and former Gov. Ernie Fletcher.

Records with the Federal Election Commission show that Daniel Logsdon, deputy chief of staff for Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear since last September, gave $500 in September 2005 to McConnell’s re-election committee.

Meanwhile, records with the Kentucky Registry of Election Finance show that he contributed $1,000 in March 2007 to Fletcher’s unsuccessful re-election for governor and $250 in June 2007 to Republican Richie Farmer’s successful bid for agriculture commissioner.

Logsdon acknowledged the GOP contributions Monday, noting that he supervised local and state government affairs in Kentucky and Pennsylvania for Windstream Communications at the time of the donations.

“When I worked in the private sector, I worked with both Democrats and Republicans,” he said. “My contributions reflect that.”

In addition to his contributions to Republicans, records show Logsdon has donated to several Democrats, including $1,000 in 2008 to Barack Obama for president and $500 to U.S. Rep. Ben Chandler, D-Versailles.

Logdson also has previously served as deputy treasurer for state Treasurer Jonathan Miller, a Democrat, and is the son of former state agriculture commissioner Ed Logsdon.

Daniel Logsdon said his contributions to Republicans were not mentioned Saturday when the 51-member state Democratic Central Executive Committee unanimously named him the party chairman and executive director, effective July 1, at Beshear’s request.

Daniel Logsdon said he did not think it was necessary to discuss his contributions since he had informed Beshear about the GOP contributions before he took a position in the administration.

“I feel strongly that my Democratic bona fides are irrefutable,” he said, noting that he always has been registered as a Democrat.

Beshear said through party spokeswoman Barbara Hadley Smith that he knows that Logsdon, as part of his previous job, contributed to candidates in both parties.

“Dan believes in the values of the Democratic Party and is committed to electing Democrats,” Beshear said through Smith.

Five days after he joined Beshear’s administration last September, Logsdon contributed $1,000 to Beshear’s 2011 re-election efforts, records show.

Fayette County Democratic Party Chair Brenda P. McClanahan, who is a member of the state executive committee, said she is “not surprised” that Logsdon contributed to Republicans “because so many people in the private sector give to both parties.

“I don’t know why it would have any effect on his new job,” she said.

McClanahan said there was no need for Logsdon to mention the issue to the committee on Saturday.

“If the governor was satisfied with him, I think that was enough for committee members,” she said.

Another committee member, Sen. Joey Pendleton, D-Hopkinsville, said he was not present Saturday at the committee meeting “but I imagine there’ll be some people who will want to make an issue of his contributions.”

“What I want to know is how he’s going to raise money for the state Democratic Party and get us all back together,” Pendleton said.

Filed Under: Democratic PartyState GovernmentSteve Beshear

Comments

1. A Member of an Exec Committee says:

This would have prevented him from being selected to servce on a Democratic Executive Committee. Poor choice by the Gov. I am now more open to vote for another candidate for Governor.

2. room106 says:

Irony aside in this…this, to me, points out what’s wrong with politics in this state. It’s all about the games people play and not principles people provide. Clearly, no principles here on several people’s part…

3. BillinKy says:

This is outrageous. If Logsdon want to contribute to both Democrats and Republicans, that’s fine. Let him find a job in the private sector. We don’t need him to be the head of the Democratic Party in Kentucky with that kind of background. How the heck do we Democrats know whether he’s working for the Democrats or the Republicans to which he once donated.

4. snappy says:

tom buford, R,ky 22 donated to beshear and (of all people!) arlen specter. I think all this cross-pollination is a sign of people jockeying for political favors. It certainly can’t be about supporting anothers’ position! I am steering clear of all of these guys.

5. Big Jay says:

Snappy has it right. Contributors to both parties are people after access and favors. The average congressman needs to get $2,000 per day for re-election and the average Senator needs $5,000 per day. If you can’t contribute big numbers of votes or lots of cash then you’re nothing but a beggar in the eyes of YOUR elected officials. Vote them ALL out! Get a fresh bunch in and do the same to them next election.

6. george says:

This should have eliminated him from evening being considered for this position. If he is going to donate to Republicans so they can defeat Democrats how can he possibly be considered a true Democrat and not just someone who is out for themselves. The Governor should never have recommended this guy and the members of the SCEC should immediately vote to oust him. It is entirely within their power according to the By Laws to send this self promoter packing.

7. Jimmy says:

This is exactly why politics has to be taken out of our government! People have no morals, character, or principles anymore…it’s about how to win the political game and get favors (in the form of our tax dollars) funneled to them. VOTE ALL OF THESE THIEVES AND CRIMINALS OUT OF OFFICE AT THE END OF THEIR TERMS. DEMAND TERM LIMITS FOR ALL ELECTED OFFICIALS, IF THEY DON’T VOTE FOR IT, VOTE THEM OUT, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! This is the ONLY way we’ll ever take our government back, not with a tea party or any other nutty faction, but only by demanding accountability of our officials and when they don’t perform, no matter how “nice” they are, VOTE THEM OUT!

8. Democrat says:

Kind of makes it hard to follow him if he is to be our leader.

9. eon evans says:

I just can’t follow this governor. He seems to try to play both sides with his appointments. I have never voted for a republican for governor in my 70 years. I don’t know who will run against him but they got my vote.

10. tafugate says:

logsdon epitomizes what a liberal democrat should be, an open-minded individual willing to reach across the aisle when there’s a better idea. i’m a little surprised by his contribution to mcconnell, who epitomizes everything that’s wrong with washington. but i might have contributed to fletcher myself before he actually took the governor’s office, and promptly did a 180 on all of his campaign promises.

11. Sam says:

tafugate, I am reserving judgment, but I will point out you are in error. Logsdon wrote Ernie Fletcher a contribution not in 2003, but in 2007, after he’d done his 180, after he’d been indicted, after he’d pardoned everyone, and after his hit list of corruption came out.

I have a huge problem with this, but I’ll wait and see.

12. Big Ben 4 liberty says:

Oh my God this is delicious. This ranks right up there with Alvin Greene and the South Carolina Democrats. I gotta make more popcorn for this one.

13. Democratic Unity is needed says:

The most powerful statement in this story is not about Dan Logsdon donating money to Republicans but this –

The Democratic Party is a total mess. Dems certainly aren’t together. The elected Dems and party officials are in the frame of mind that is “whats in it for me and how can I get reelected” instead of what can I do to help get Democrats elected.

We need to listen to the people and pull together. We need to quit borrowing money to get water and sewer projects so they can go home and say … look what we did.

Legislators need to do whats BEST for Kentucky, not best for themselves.

Dan, that is going to be your toughest job. Bring this party together so we can get something done to make this state the best it can be. We need to move out of the basement of every national economic category. You, my friend, have one tough job.

Good luck and I’ll be doing my part to make this happen, regardless of who gets mad!

14. David says:

This is typical of this administration for which I sadly voted. I won’t make that mistake again.

15. Bobalou says:

He should be removed ASAP Where is the due diligence on the selection committees part to not have properly vetted this traitor?

16. Bruce Boyens says:

Giving money to a couple of idiots like Mitch and Ernie shows that Dan is a tow-faced politican like most of them are.

17. EPluribusUnum says:

As a private citizen it is normal for one to support and contribute to whomever you wish in politics.

This however is much, much, different. Mr Logsdon has aspired to and achieved the position of leadership in the “army” in the political arena.

As far as the “due diligence” that should have been performed….that was left up to the Governor, apparently Logsdon, gave to Fletcher, so due diligence was how shall we say…..non-existant?

Please refer to Kentucky Democratic Party By Laws Article I Section H

I wonder if the statute of limitations has “run” on this offense?????

18. [...] Jack Brammer: FRANKFORT — The newly appointed chairman and executive director of the Kentucky Democratic Party [...]

19. Dems says:

You have to question anyone’s judgement for giving money to Little ritche farmer.

Poor Sam. Apparently he believed Greg Stumbo’s nonsense.