Steele uncomfortable with Rand Paul’s views on civil rights

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Republican U.S. Senate nominee Rand Paul’s decision to cancel his planned appearance on NBC’s Meet the Press didn’t stop him from being the dominating topic of discussion on just about every Sunday morning news show.

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele offered the sternest comments of any Republican about Paul’s recent controversial statements concerning the nation’s anti-discrimination laws. “Rand Paul’s philosophy got in the way of reality,” he said on Fox News Sunday.

Paul triggered a firestorm of criticism and questions when he said in recent media interviews that private businesses should be able to decide whether they want to serve minorities, even though he abhors racism and discrimination. He also said President Obama sounded “un-American” for criticizing BP for the Gulf Coast oil spill and that “sometimes accidents happen” when discussing the recent coal mine fatalities.

Speaking on ABC’s This Week, Steele said he was uncomfortable with Paul’s criticisms of the 1964 Civil Rights Act but declined to condemn them.

“I think it’s important to understand that Rand Paul has clarified his statement and reiterated his support for … pushing civil rights forward, as opposed to going backwards,” Steele said on This Week.

On NBC, Meet the Press host David Gregory suggested that Paul, an eye surgeon from Bowling Green, may have found the national spotlight “a little too hot” over the past week.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said on Meet the Press that first-time candidates such as Paul occasionally “stumble.”

“I think he’s clarified his position,” Cornyn said, noting that he believes Paul’s decision to avoid the show was wise.

Gregory then went on to press Cornyn about whether he agrees with Paul’s libertarian view that embraces limited government, even if it means tolerating racists. “I don’t know what all his views are,” Cornyn responded.

Gregory dismissed that response and asked the question again. Cornyn eventually noted that Paul clarified his stance on anti-discrimination laws and made clear that he supports the 1964 Civil Rights Act and would not try to repeal portions of it.

Cornyn agreed that much of the next five months leading up to the Nov. 2 general election will be spent discussing Paul’s views on the proper size and scope of government, particularly government spending.

Paul was only the third major guest to cancel an appearance on the long-running show. The others were Louis Farrakhan and Prince Bandar of Saudi Arabia.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

– John Stamper

Filed Under: ElectionsRand PaulUS Senate Race

Comments

1. lexguy says:

invictus…thats the most f’ed up post i have ever read. whether on the left or right i usually get what posters are saying, even if i dont agree. your wrote 7 paragraphs and i done have a clue what you said.

2. mrmoneybags says:

Rand Paul

Got his butt kicked by a lesbian (Maddow)
    and a pretty boy (Stephanopoulus), had his daddy beg the media to stop, and then had to flee home and hide.

Now, while he’s hiding at home, Rand gets to watch the chairman of the GOP talk about how disappointed he is in Rand’s views.

Yep, Rand is a perfect embodiment of the Tea Bag movement.

3. mymymy says:

Crypto — secret? Secret .. like secret agent man… decoder ring and all?

Did the big bad libruls in NYC scare you so much you had to come running home to mommy?

Be careful, I’ve seen them secretly hiding in dark alleys, right here in Lexington!

Did you at least try the cuisine in NYC? I lived in Philly for a while, and they teased me about not wearing shoes back home, but I could give as good as I got, and it was all good natured. And I came back knowing what a good cheesesteak was and the Flyers could whoop *ss.

Seems like all you came back with was stories of scary libruls.

4. Steve says:

Seriously: time to rename this paper the Paul Herald-Leader. All Paul obsession, all the time.

5. Carl K says:

If you follow the natural extension of Mr. Paul’s thinking, He must also oppose the Thirteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution that officially abolished and continues to prohibit slavery and involuntary servitude because “Congress/government overreached” by prohibiting enslavement and “interfered with the operations of private business”! In this moron’s mind, “private enterprise” supersedes everybody, including God’s law and the constitution. Actually, “private Enterprise” is the GOD, in his view. WTF!

6. Kelsey says:

I do not like some of the comments on this blog about Rand Paul. I for one am a good demo and will be voting for Paul in the Nov election. Paul just spoke the truth about the way 85% of the voters in Ky feel. We have had enough. Enough of Gov regulation enough interference. If you walk into a store or restruant in Ky and don t like what you see or who dines there all the time, then tell the truth, you don t eat there, you dont go there and you don t even stop there. If you dont like Mex food than you dont go there, so you and Beshear quit telling lies and speak the truth as Dr. Paul has. I dont see the Gov or his family eating in any Mex Rest in Frankfort. I have noting against a Mex I like there food but I don t eat soul food, so who is a racist.

7. I certainly enjoyed the way you explore your experience and knowledge of the subject! Keep up on it. Thanks for sharing the info

8. I am very thank you to share this article,it’s very good,I hope you can share more,and I will continue to read,thanks!

9. I agree with your point,nice article,thanks.I will continue to read your articles.

10. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly.

11. This is a brilliant post, im really glad I found it thank you very much.

12. Happy to see your blog as it is just what I’ve looking for and excited to read all the posts. I am looking forward to another great article from you.

13. chat says:

paul thank you very good