Mountjoy resigns education secretary post

October 28, 2009 | | Comments 8

Helen Mountjoy

Helen Mountjoy

Kentucky Education Secretary Helen Mountjoy has resigned her position effective Nov. 30, citing a long commute from her home in Owensboro and a desire to spend more time with her family, Gov. Steve Beshear’s office announced Wednesday.

Mountjoy will continue to serve as Beshear’s point person on the recently appointed Transforming Education in Kentucky (TEK) task force.

Beshear appointed Mountjoy as cabinet secretary in 2007. She previously served as vice president of the Greater Owensboro Economic Development Corporation and was a member of the Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence. Mountjoy also served on the Kentucky Board of Education for 15 years and chaired the board from 1998 to 2004.

“Education and workforce development are the issues closest to my heart, and it’s been a privilege to serve as cabinet secretary,” Mountjoy said. “I am looking forward to continuing some of that work, and I’m also looking forward to spending more time with my family in Owensboro.”

Beshear said he will immediately begin a search for Mountjoy’s replacement.

– Linda Blackford

Filed Under: EducationState GovernmentSteve Beshear

RSSComments (8)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Johnson Holler says:

This explains all the flying monkeys I saw flying west over the BG Parkway the other day. Ding Dong the you know what is dead. Many happy people in Frankfort.

2. Big Money says:

So which republican State Senator will get this job?

3. Xstateworker says:

She is not the first, nor will she be the last. The election in 2012 is coming fast. The rats will jump ship and we will have the shuffling of non-merit jobs from here until Nov. 2012.

4. educator says:

just a note to “xstateworker”…the next election for statewide office holders will be in November 2011 not 2012.

5. james 7 says:

The important part is yet to come–when her deputy, stumbling Joe leaves town too–when will the governor take a look at the damage, not to mention the illegal actions taken by Stumbling Joe ?

6. handiman says:

Yes in the next year you will see a huge jump in the number of merit employees.

It happens every cycle.

And we wonder why the state is broke.

7. Davies Kid says:

It was always a joy to mount Helen.

8. Cridhe Saorsa says:

Translated this means; I don’t want to have to drive to Frankfort anymore for my place at the trough. Instad I want you to send my share of the slop to my home. Leave the pail at the door, I’ll get to it.